Saturday, October 18, 2008

Breathlessly weird!



The movie is about a carjacker called Michael who goes around causing drama with his girlfriend Patricia. One thing I can say about this movie is that it definitely wasn’t made Hollywood style in any way. The movie was pretty humorous but at some times annoying to watch. T he plot is not even that great but it’s more than just plot in this movie if you think about it. What I mean is plot wasn’t the only thing we were supposed to focus on. The characters definitely didn’t have a lot of depth and a lot of people might not have identified with them so much.

Another thing I want to talk about is the editing through cuts and transitions. I think they hurt more than they helped because it was just confusing and disorienting and what is the point of some of the scenes? Anyways I think there is an aspect of representation and the fact that we were wondering what just happened or second guessing. The editing is probably meant to be obvious because I think everyone could tell every cut or transition that occurred in the movie. We are not used to the visibility of cuts so it just made the movie choppy and the smoothness of movie factor was not present.

The film was supposed to show natural life I’m guessing but the way it was done made it definitely seem more like art than anything else. I felt they took out the natural aspect of the movie by the transitions used but apart from that I can still see the realism that they went for and sometimes it comes out pretty clearly. One would need a lot of patience to watch this movie and I think that is one of the problems with the people who didn’t like it because they were just not used to it and didn’t have the patience or try and look at it differently.

In the end the movie was just confusing and strange for me but I shouldn’t judge because it was the directors own style and we each have our own preferences in terms of cinematography. The editing was very visible and if they were trying to show the different ways that editing can be used then they did a marvelous job. I would say overall the movie is unique.

http://www.moviediva.com/MD_root/reviewpages/MDBreathless.htm

got the picture from here

No comments: